Unable to boot cloned disk

Markus Kesaromous remotestar at live.com
Fri Jun 19 02:56:55 UTC 2009

On my workstation, with FC9, I attached a second drive, identical to the linux boot drive.
Both drives are SATA.
The linux boot drive is a dual boot of windows XP and FC9.

In single user mode, I cloned sda to sdb

dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb bs=32M

I shut down and remove the second drive and insert it into
another workstation.

Booting the second workstation fails because it cannot find
/dev/root, among other things, and the kernel panics.

Repeating the cloning does not seem to have any effect.

This effectively says that an OEM cannot have a master disk to
clone disks off of it for use in other machines.

Any ideas how to properly clone fedora disks so that they are bootable
on other machines?