F11 moans

Gordon Messmer yinyang at eburg.com
Fri Jun 19 06:01:18 UTC 2009

On 06/16/2009 06:41 AM, William Murray wrote:

> c) kerneloops
> Always seems to be running on boot up. It consume 100% of a cpu core
> for 10 -20 minutes before popping up a notification.
> This may be due to LOTS of these messages:
> Jun 16 15:34:07 hepntl141 kernel: [drm:drm_wait_vblank] *ERROR* failed
> to acquire vblank counter, -22

CPU time and memory use appear to be tied to the size of
/var/log/messages.  This really sucked for me when I turned on NFS
debugging (my F11 workstation's NFS mounted /home keeps hanging) and I
ended up with several GB of logs.  It looked like kerneloops loaded all
of its contents into RAM.  IIRC, that problem went away when I forced
the rotation of my logs.

> e) virtual machines steal the sound. If I run a vm, then the host has no
> access to
> the speaker any more.

 From Virtual Machine Manager, double click on your VM.  Click on the
"Details" tab, select "Sound: ..." and then click the "Remove" button in
the lower right.  This isn't a regression, AFAIK.  VMs have always had
exclusive access to sound if you leave that device configured.