Hard Drives not accessible after Update to F11

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Fri Jun 19 18:35:04 UTC 2009

stan wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 19:15:51 +0200
> Andreas Burget <andiburget at gmx.de> wrote:
>
>> Hi there,
>> I updated my System via Preupgrade from F10 to F11. The update went
>> smoothly but after the reboot the System stopped while booting saying
>> it can't find some drives by their UUIDs. I booted the LiveCD and
>> disabled them in fstab. after that the system booted without
>> problems, but I'm not able to mount my other drives.
>>
>> here's my fstab: http://fpaste.org/paste/15779
>> and here's the fdisk -l output: http://fpaste.org/paste/15780
>>
>> I also tried booting the F10 LiveCD and was able to mount them there.
>> here's the fdisk -l output from F10: http://fpaste.org/paste/15781
>>
>> I hope you can help me fix this
>>

> If you run the command   blkid  it will give you the information you
> need to put in your fstab in order to access the drives.

Stan, you have told him how to solve the problem, but I'm curious why he had the
problem in the first place.

Theory: if any partitions were reformatted, perhaps to ext4, just maybe the new
UUID didn't get copied into the fstab to replace the old one. This would only
happen on an upgrade, and I haven't done that yet, as I prefer to reinstall and
have all my non-system files in separate filesystems.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>