Output of "yum list installed"

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Sat Jun 20 20:31:15 UTC 2009

On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 15:24:27 -0430, Patrick wrote:

> On Sat, 2009-06-20 at 11:04 +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> > On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 23:20:31 -0400, Bill wrote:
> >
> > > Your guess is right, the updates are in disabled repos (at least mine all are),
> > > but they are packages for which an update exists.
> >
> > Coincidence. Yum cannot know that there are updates in repos which
> > are not enabled.
>
> Yes, that sounded odd to me. So red means simply "installed from some
> unknown (or disabled) repo"?

Yes, that's what I see here.

And yellow "version-release doesn't match enabled repos".

If I kill /var/lib/yumdb/*, "yum list installed" loses its history
and no longer knows from which repo a package was installed. Then it uses
yellow for all packages that don't match the cached metadata of the
enabled repos.

It uses red for the installed "mobile-broadband-provider-info" package
because that's a new package from updates-testing and not available
in the F11 "fedora" or "updates" repos. If I enable updates-testing
for the "list installed" query, the package name is not printed in red
anymore as now it is found in the enabled repos' metadata.