NM: the usual rant

Matthew Flaschen matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu
Sun Mar 1 15:26:09 UTC 2009

Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Sun, 01 Mar 2009 09:07:31 -0500
> Matthew Flaschen wrote:
>
>> "Translating" every error message is not a
>> good use of developer time.
>
> Yes, it is a far better use of developer time to be inundated
> by folks asking what the hell obscure messages and behaviour means.

No, it's not.  Note that I didn't say, "Email the error codes the
developers personally."  File a /thorough/ bug report on a bug tracker
or developer mailing list, or ask for advice from users, such as here.

> But, not to worry, it won't be the actual NM developers
> who get that grief, but instead the poor fools who
> offer commercial linux support.

You're a fool.  What do you think this magical commercial support does
when confronted with a problem?    They read the source and developer
documentation and solve the problem themselves, or they report a bug
once they have enough information.

Exactly the same thing you could do if you weren't busy whining.

Matt Flaschen