F10 custom install

john wendel jwendel10 at comcast.net
Sun Mar 1 16:11:44 UTC 2009

Phil Meyer wrote:
> john wendel wrote:
>> Clueless here,
>>
>> I've got an F10 install running well, and I'd like to move the system
>> to a flash disk. This flash will become the boot device for a small
>> system I'm building. Can I just use "cp" and end up with a workable
>> system? I know that I need to do a grub install. Anything else?
>>
>> I'd appreciate any clues about what I need to tweak on the resulting
>> flash to get it booting/running.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Clueless ( John )
>>

> You might consider using livecd-creator to create a live custom image,
> and then using livecd-iso-to-disk to create your bootable flash drive.
>
> I have done this about 100 times at work, and it works well.  When you
> use livecd-iso-to-disk you can add overlays for both system and home
> that will allow dynamic changes.
>
> Another thing: you might create links to /var/lib/pgsql, /var/lib/mysql,
> /var/log, etc etc, during the postinstall of the kickstart used for
> livecd-creator.
>
> That way, you can have a separate partition on the flash drive for data,
> rather than putting data in an overlay.
>
> Good Luck!

This looks like a nice solution for most people. I guess I should have
mentioned that the system I'm installing isn't "rpm package" based
anymore; I've removed (as in "rm <file>") all the stuff I won't be using
for the few applications the target box will run. Everything now fits in
a 512 MB flash with room to spare.

Thanks for the reply.

John