[Fwd: Re: FC10 Gnome desktop icons gone]

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Mar 2 05:15:57 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-03-01 at 15:01 -0600, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> On this list, the Reply-To header is not rewritten - one is added
> pointing back to the list. If you have your own Reply-To, then
> replies show up for both. I have to delete the sender's address on
> about 25% of hte messages I send.

I usually don't bother to do that.  I (quite rightly) presume that
they've deliberately added their address, and want private copies.
That's the proper way to respond to a message with more than one
reply-to address (reply to all of them).

If they're silly enough to have just put their address in the
reply-to(*) header, as well, without realising that you shouldn't do
that by default, that's their problem.  Otherwise, I mightn't be
replying to some people who've deliberately set things to work that way.

It's not up to me to try and second guess whether they know what they're
doing, or not.

* You use the reply-to header to redirect replies to some other address
(it's an overriding instruction).  Or, in the case of multiple reply-to
addresses, to direct that replies should go to all of them.  You do not,
normally, put your address in the reply-to and the from headers (the
same address in both).

When a message has a reply-to address, that's where the replies should
go to.  You should ignore the "to" and "from" addresses, completely.
Any client that disobeys that when you do a normal reply, is broken.
Only some special reply mode should behave differently.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.15-78.2.23.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.