Laptop: Hard drive wakes up every 5-10 seconds

Michael Cronenworth mike at cchtml.com
Tue Mar 3 04:00:21 UTC 2009

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> If it is really the hard drive, it is probably rsyslogd doing
> something with the log files. When you are logged in, the CD/DVD
> drive is also checked to see if there is a disk in the drive. This
> will also light the HDD light in most systems.

I forgot to add that I disabled hal polling on /dev/sr0. I guess the
beeping could be the dvd drive, but that would mean that hal is broken,
which isn't that unlikely.

I performed an ls -lrt /var/log and the last touched file was wtmp over
two minutes ago. messages hadn't been written to in 15 minutes.