How to re-lock ssh private key?

Robert Nichols rnicholsNOSPAM at comcast.net
Tue Mar 3 15:35:40 UTC 2009

Agile Aspect wrote:
> Robert Nichols wrote:
>>
>> In searching for info I keep getting references to ssh-agent being
>> responsible for remembering the key, but I find that ssh-agent is
>> never executed on my system.
>
> Here's one way to do it - the brute force solution.
>
> Look under
>
>    Applications -> Internet -> SSH Ask Pass
>
> then right click and add it to your panel.
>
> Then right click on the icon in the panel, select properties, then
> change the command
>
>    /usr/bin/ssh-add

>    /usr/bin/ssh-add -t <time>

I do not find any "SSH Ask Pass" under Applications -> Internet.
This is on a pretty much default install of Fedora 10.  What are
you running?

When I execute ssh-add in a terminal session, I get

     $ /usr/bin/ssh-add -t 60
     Enter passphrase for /home/rnichols/.ssh/id_rsa:
              [I enter the correct passphrase here]
     SSH_AGENT_FAILURE
     Identity added: /home/rnichols/.ssh/id_rsa (/home/rnichols/.ssh/id_rsa)

Thereafter, ssh happily without requiring a passphrase, and that
capability does _not_ time out.

Thanks for the effort, but that doesn't help at all.

                 Do NOT delete it.