Laptop: Hard drive wakes up every 5-10 seconds

Michael Cronenworth mike at cchtml.com
Wed Mar 4 06:58:30 UTC 2009

Roberto Ragusa wrote:
> btrace will dump all disk activity, PID number is in column number 5.

Looks like it was xfsbufd writing unnecessarily. By default,
xfsbufd_centisecs is set to 100. I changed it to 1500. Now pdflush wakes
up every 15 seconds, and xfssyncd wakes up every 30 seconds (default
setting). No programs were causing these wakeups. btrace only showed
"pdflush," "xfsbufd," and "xfssyncd" as the processes responsible.

Any way to get pdflush and/or xfssyncd to shut up or am I stuck with them?