NetworkManager do not work with WIFI

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Wed Mar 4 10:55:06 UTC 2009

Craig White wrote:

> Go to Administration => Network and select the wireless device and check
> its properties and ensure that the checkbox for this item is checked.

I'm connected with WiFi at this moment,
but thought I'd look into this advice.
I'm running KDE/Fedora-10.

I see I have two menu items that seem to fit the bill:
Administration=>Network Configuration
and Administration=>Network Device Control

The latter is empty, which I find puzzling;
it says "The following network interfaces
are configured in the active profile",
but gives none.

The former does list my WiFi device (as eth1),
as well as pan0 and eth0 (which are not in use).
All three are ticked in the Profile checkbox.
It says that the Active profile is Common.

As usual, I find the settings obscure.
Where is my "Active profile" specified?
How would I change it if I wanted to?
I see that /etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles
lists only "default".

Windows networking is fairly confusing, in my eyes;
but it is a model of clarity compared with Fedora.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net