The system freezes when switching session

Linux Media linuxmedia4 at netscape.net
Wed Mar 4 11:23:20 UTC 2009

>> Hello everbody:
>>
>> I use Fedora 10 i386 in a Compaq Presario Notebook C735EM.
>> The system is updated, and my desktop is gnome with compiz fusion
>> enabled. The graphics card is intel.
>> The problem I have is that when I change the current user session to
>> another user, the system freezes, crashes.
>> All I can do is move the mouse. I can not close the X. I can not move
>> to terminal Cntr + Alt + F1
>> I tried to do before turning off compiz fusion, but also freezes.
>> In a virtual machine that I can not, so I guess it is problem of my
>> laptop.
>> Can someone help me?
> I am not sure that there is a current bugzilla on this one (I haven't
> had time to look into it), but I have this issue as well.  I'm working
> around it by using the following /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
>
> ---8<---- Cut Here ---
>
> Section "ServerLayout"
>    Identifier     "Default Layout"
>    Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
>    InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
> EndSection
>
> Section "InputDevice"
> # keyboard added by rhpxl
>    Identifier  "Keyboard0"
>    Driver      "kbd"
>    Option        "XkbModel" "pc105"
>    Option        "XkbLayout" "us"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Device"
>    Identifier  "Videocard0"
>    Driver      "intel"
>      Option         "NoAccel" "True"
>      Option         "DRI" "True"
>      Option         "DDC" "True"
>      Option         "XVideo" "True"
>      Option         "DevicePresence" "True"
>      Option         "ShadowFB" "True"
>      Option         "DisplayInfo" "True"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Screen"
>    Identifier "Screen0"
>    Device     "Videocard0"
>    DefaultDepth     24
>    SubSection "Display"
>        Viewport   0 0
>        Depth     24
>    EndSubSection
> EndSection
>
> ---8<---- Cut Here ---
>
> The key thing is the  following line in the Device section:
>
> Option         "NoAccel" "True"
>
> This disables the hardware acceleration on the video card.  Not great,
> but it stops the hangs.
>
> Woogie

I think there's a bugzilla for this. I saw a post about it here and
looked at a bugzilla about a week or so ago that sounds like this. I
think someone had suggested the "NoAccel" workaround in that report. I
didn't keep the link though, sorry.

I think the post about this issue was probably no more than two or three
weeks ago, so check the archives because I think that post has a link to
the bugzilla.

Rocco