[OT] Free download of Linux Fromat for 24 hours

Nigel Henry cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr
Wed Mar 4 22:28:48 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 04 March 2009 22:06, phil wrote:
> Nigel Henry wrote:
> >
> > I havn't seen a Linux Format mag since I moved to France in Sept 2004. No
> > money for the sub.
> >
> > Seeing the link above, I thought, "that's worth going for". Clicked on
> > the hi res download, only to find it was torrent, which I've never used
> > before.
> >
> > I had to go and collect bread, and other stuff on my bike at the local
> > town, so sometime later, and back at the ranch, I fire up F10, which I
> > know has Ktorrent on it. Click on "Help" in K torrent, but no help files.
> > Doh! . I'm sort of used to this with KDE, although I use it all the time,
> > but is annoying when you want to try a new app, but there is no info on
> > how to use it.
> >
> > Anyway, that aside, I see another app in KDE's Internet menu
> > "Transmission". That may be a Gnome app, but at least it's got info on
> > how to use it. I'm on dialup, but I drag the .torrent file into
> > transmissions main window, and get the torrent downloading the file. I
> > don't think there is a hope in hell of it running to completion before
> > Linux Format remove the link, which is a shame, as it would have been
> > nice to read a Linux Format mag again.
> >
> > How do these torrent downloads work, for instance with this PDF download?
> > Say for example If I get 90% of it downloaded, before I lose the torrent
> > link. Am I likely to be able to open the PDF, and view some of the pages,
> > or am I going to have all the pages, but bits and pieces missing from
> > each of them?
> >
> > I suppose whichever way this goes, I've learned a bit about torrent, and
> > the next time I need to use it I'll be a bit more clued up.
> >
> > Nigel.
>
> no matter if lxf remove their seeding server myself (and i'm sure many
> others) will keep seeding it for a while which should allow you to
> finish your download :)
>
> phil

Thanks for that info Phil. So I may get it completed after all, which would be
nice.

I know I'm on dialup, but it's odd that the "Transmission" app is not showing
anything being uploaded, but the downloading is using all available dialup
bandwidth.

Gkrellm shows some stuff being transmitted, but all below 1K.

I'll have to look further into this. It appears that I'm downloading using
torrent, but not giving anything back (seeding).

Nigel.