Dual monitors KDE 4.2 - no panel, no keyboard focus

Michael Eager eager at eagercon.com
Thu Mar 5 03:13:40 UTC 2009

Ron Siven wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 1:14 PM, Michael Eager <eager at eagercon.com
> <mailto:eager at eagercon.com>> wrote:
>
>     Michael Eager wrote:
>
>         Hi --
>
>         I have dual monitors using Nvidia Twinview.  I
>         have both displays working.  The primary display has
>         the panel, plasmoids, etc.  It seems to work OK.
>
>         The secondary display only shows wallpaper.  Mouse
>         clicks on the screen are ignored.
>
>         I can start a program on the second display by running
>         a command in the primary display: "DISPLAY=:0.1 konsole"
>         but this screen does not take keyboard focus.  Doing
>         the same with konqueror, the mouse works, but again
>         the keyboard is inactive.  Neither of these windows has
>         taskbars at the top, so they cannot be moved.
>
>         Running GNOME, the dual display works OK, with both
>         screens active.
>

>     One correction:  I'm not running Twinview.  When I
>     turn on Twinview in the nvidia-settings applet, I
>     get a single X window over both monitors.  I want
>     independent X sessions on each monitor.
>
>     --
>     Michael Eager    eager at eagercon.com <mailto:eager at eagercon.com>
>     1960 Park Blvd., Palo Alto, CA 94306  650-325-8077
>

> Have you seen this information?  It helped me.
> http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Xorg_RandR_1.2#xorg.conf

Thanks.  I'll take a look at it.

At first glance looks like it creates a single virtual screen
running on two screens.  That's what I have now with twinview.
I want independent screens running on each display.

But I'll give xrandr a shot.  What can it do other than
screw up my X config.  As if that hasn't happened before.

Michael Eager	 eager at eagercon.com
1960 Park Blvd., Palo Alto, CA 94306  650-325-8077