FC10, Virtualization , Windows XP

Michael Eager eager at eagercon.com
Thu Mar 5 03:18:18 UTC 2009

Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Wed, 04 Mar 2009 19:09:04 -0500
> Jim wrote:
>
>> FC 10/KDE
>> what is the best Virtualization program for FC10, to run Windows XP in.
>> I understand because my AMD Athlon doesn't have a "svm" feature I can't
>> run KVM, and VM Ware is slow ?
>
> Anything you use will be slow without the hardware virtualization
> support - they all have the same problem.

Actually, it turns out that the software virtualization is
just as fast as the hardware virtualization, perhaps even
faster.  Lots of reasons, but one is that once the VM software
rewrites a section of priviledged code, it never touches
it again.  With the hardware virtualization support, the VM
interprets it every time it is executed.

I use VMware for WinXP.  It runs reasonably fast.

Michael Eager	 eager at eagercon.com
1960 Park Blvd., Palo Alto, CA 94306  650-325-8077