Setting up a home wireless server.

James Allsopp jamesaallsopp at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 5 12:43:33 UTC 2009

hi,
I'm setting up a wireless access point and I've got the laptop to
connect to the server, and dhcp working, but I can't get the firewall to
forward packets to the outside wall. I've seen some people setting up a
bridging device, but before I've done it using iptables. Is one of these
methods better, deprecated or just different?

I'm using the iptables script described here;
http://iptables-tutorial.frozentux.net/iptables-tutorial.html#INCLUDERCFIREWALL

the forward part is here
$IPTABLES -A FORWARD -i $LAN_IFACE -j ACCEPT
$IPTABLES -A FORWARD -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
$IPTABLES -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o $INET_IFACE -j SNAT --to-source $INET_IP

But there doesn't seem to be anything to redirect the return packets or
to tell it which interface the outbound packets should be on.

It says in the tutorial masquerade should be avoided due to the extra
CPU, any comments?

Thanks,
Jim