Fed10 and recording quitar music

Linux Media linuxmedia4 at netscape.net
Fri Mar 6 18:20:01 UTC 2009

johnbs wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>    could somebody please give me the load down on recording quality
> music with Fedora 10? What programmes should I use, etc in fact
> everything!  My friends tell me I would have to quit Fedora and go to
> Windows : an idea which does not please me. Thanks a lot.
> John Brennan-Sardou.

Most (probably all) of the programs mentioned by people in this thread
are included with Planet CCRMA. You have Fedora 10 installed already, so
you're almost there...

http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/

I've never ran Windows or a Mac, but the people doing audio work on
Linux swear that it's better for audio recording than anything with
Windows or a Mac.

Here's the quick list of the benefits of Planet CCRMA...

############################
1). Installs a modified Fedora 10 kernel for audio purposes
############################

The kernel is patched for low latency (latency is the measurement of how
long it takes sound to go (for instance) from the mic you spoke into...
through the hardware... through the software... and into your
headphones/monitor).

Patched for Realtime Preemption (allows your music programs the highest
priority, so other programs don't interfere with smooth, uninterrupted
recording)

############################
2). Uses rtirq
############################

I can't explain this technically, but it has to do with your sound card
of choice getting the highest priority so other hardware doesn't
interfere with smooth, uninterrupted playback/recording.

############################
3). Programs and Hardware are configured for (above mentioned) benefits
############################

Any Program or Hardware that take advantage of the (above mentioned)
benefits are configured for you to use those advantages.

4). Uses yum

Installing music programs is as easy as...
bash> yum install ProgramName

I am also in the process of creating a "howto" or "quickstart" on using
ffado-mixer (Mixer for firewire audio interfaces). It will be posted in
the ffado mailing list.

I recommend you join the CCRMA mailing list...