pulseaudio deeply unreliable (Fedora 10)

Sharpe, Sam J sam.sharpe+lists.redhat at gmail.com
Sun Mar 8 23:21:41 UTC 2009

2009/3/8 Tom Horsley <tom.horsley at att.net>:
> On Sun, 08 Mar 2009 23:23:33 +0100
> Kevin Kofler wrote:
>> Try playing sound from 2 or more apps at once on hardware with no hardware
>> mixing (or with hardware mixing not supported by the ALSA driver), it just
>> won't work without PulseAudio (or dmix, which has its own share of
>> compatibility problems).
> Then try making sense out of 2 or more apps playing at once and
> wonder why anyone cares if it works or not.

Case 1)
I normally play really really loud Metal or watch American crime
dramas to drown out the chatterboxes in my office. I want to hear the
pings of a new IM coming in, because it usually means something
significant server-wise.

Case 2)
I want to hear my VOIP phone ringing over the perfect noise of Rammstein.

and that's just me... there must be thousands of other legitimate use cases!

--
Sam