pulseaudio deeply unreliable (Fedora 10)

Suvayu Ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 13:34:32 UTC 2009

Antti J. Huhtala wrote:
> That's all right if you only use one audio application at a time.
> However, sometimes one needs to use more. Here's a quotation from my
> private mail to another list member:
>
> "I'm attaching a small text file (of 'top') demonstrating successful use
> of pulseaudio. I had Rhythmbox playing some of my favorite records. This
> stream was directed to USB headphones. Simultaneously I had totem
> (actually totem-xine with all the non-free codecs) playing a movie. This
> stream was directed to loudspeakers through the Ensonic SB sound card.
> Please note the relatively low average load, even if I have Firefox and
> some other programs running.
> Both audio signals were completely free of pops or crackles - and there
> were no "holes" in the audio output of either. Those holes were plaguing
> PA all the time when pulseaudio was new to Fedora :-("

I have been so far pretty happy with PA, but just wanted to add that
these days many Audio hardware are capable of handling multi-streaming.
Hopefully PA improves even more and incorporates some of these features.
Not many have multiple cards, but most do have these multi-stream
capable audio hardware. They come in pretty handy if you actually use
your desktop as your primary home multimedia device.

--
Suvayu