Looking for input on yum metadata_expire option

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 22:41:39 UTC 2009

> Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > On Wed, 2009-03-11 at 02:59 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> For those who didn't know, metadata_expire value in yum.conf can control
> >> how much time yum will rely on the existing metadata before trying to
> >> refresh it. f you want the behaviour to be similar to apt, then you can
> >> set it to never as well. The default value is 6 hours now.
> >>
> >> I had a recent discussion with Seth Vidal, the primary developer of yum
> >> about increasing it to a day instead of 6 hours. We are now looking for
> >> input from you, the Fedora users on what value would be appropriate. If
> >> you have fiddled around with this setting, let me know what you think.
> >> If you haven't try it out and I would appreciate your feedback as well.
> >
> > I set it to 1800 i.e. 30 minutes. I do that because I prefer to run yum
> > myself rather than use the various PackageConf daemons.
>
> I am not sure what you mean by PackgeConf daemons.

Perhaps I should have said "the annoying applets that pester me about
updates" :-)

> This setting only
> controls how often the metadata is refreshed when you run yum directly.

That's sort of what I meant to get at. When I run yum I prefer it to
check out the latest repo information. I leave it at 30 minutes rather
than 0 because occasionally one has to run yum more than once in a short
period of time.

poc