setting X server DPI

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Mar 11 07:38:20 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-03-10 at 17:40 -0500, Michael Hennebry wrote:
> Ideally, the X server has the correct DPIs
> and the application is written to use them.
> The application can discover the number of pixels in a 12pt font
> and enlarge or not depending on the answer and the purpose.
> Given that many applications don't do that,
> lying about the DPIs is a perfectly sensible thing to do.
> That isn't good for applications that would otherwise do the right
> thing.

The problem is that when you abuse something to fake something to suit
someone who doesn't know how to do things right, you break things that
everyone else *needs* to work properly.

Because it's done WRONG, we can't use it right.  We can't specify our
DPI correctly, and get fonts drawn correctly.  We have to bodge
*everything*, and *nothing* is correct.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.19-78.2.30.fc9.i686