Specs for server

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed Mar 11 20:55:03 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-03-11 at 21:44 +0100, Tosh wrote:

> > 3 - I really like having at least a mirror RAID (RAID 1) on the boot
> > volume as well as the data drives so in a server I wouldn't necessarily
> > segregate the OS from the data on physical drives but rather in
> > different RAID partitions.
> I also tend to keep the os off the raid volume and then clone using
> clonezilla or partimage to make a "bare-metal" recovery
----
I wouldn't say that's a bad idea but if I have 50 users and some odd
number of servers that depend upon this server, I don't want them all
picking their nose if a hard drive fails - hence the reason I want RAID
1 on the OS.

If you have hardware RAID, a drive failure shouldn't take the system
down at all.

Craig