F10 not connected at start up -

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Wed Mar 11 21:18:25 UTC 2009

Craig White wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-03-11 at 15:12 -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>
>> Craig White wrote:

>>> ----
>>> the default is to have NetworkManager service on and 'network' service
>>> off and also to boot runlevel 5 so clearly you have been changing things
>>> since the original installation.
>>>
>>> You might want to ensure that 'network' service is set to automatically
>>> start at your runlevel (you don't say which boot level you are
>>> setting)...
>>>
>>> chkconfig --list network
>>>
>>> and I would presume if you are booting runlevel 3, which is supposed to
>>> have networking turned on by default, the above should show 'on' for
>>> runlevel 3.
>>>
>>> if not, execute either
>>>
>>> chkconfig --levels 2345 network on # very explicit
>>> or
>>> chkconfig network on # less explicit, uses /etc/init.d/network
>>>                      # chkconfig statement to determine
>>>
>>> You might want to do similar for 'Firestarter' service to ensure it too
>>> is automatically started at boot up.
>>>
>>> Craig
>>>

>> Both network and firestarter are on for 2345, off for the others.
>>
> ----
> I would expect that if this is the case and there were a problem with
> them starting during bootup, that /var/log/messages would indicate the
> problem.
>
> Craig

/var/log/messages  shows a number of references to NetworkManager.  I'm not sure what they mean or why they are there but it should be turned off?

I find that if I boot it as root instead of bobg I eliminate three password entries, however it still does not come up connected until I click on "activate." in Network Device Control.  Then I can enable Firestarter.  It's faster and easier but not the solution I was looking for.

Bob