f10 annoying bugs/enhancements: chooser

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Mar 12 13:57:40 UTC 2009

Sharpe, Sam J:
>> Add or edit /etc/gdm/custom.conf and add this section:
>>
>> [greeter]
>> Browser=false
>>
>> Then restart gdm...

fred smith:
> This doesn't seem to work in F10. I remember seeing other posts on it,
> and the consensus was th at a lot of the configurability has been disabled,
> including the ability to control the font size (which on my eeepc is HUGE
> on the small screen).
>
> Allegedly, replacing it with the one from F9 solves the proglem, though
> I haven't tried that.

Well, I'm using Fedora 9, and nothing that I've tried stops that damn
user list appearing on GDM.  Neither does anything stop the inclusion of
names I want excluded.  I've even tried changing the background image,
and it ignores that instruction, too.

I've got no kind words for the thing.  It's not configurable.  It's slow
to fire up, *much* slower than the GDM logon screen on Fedora 7.  Every
log on requires cursoring through the list, or typing the name, since it
NEVER starts with reselecting the same name that logged in previously,
nor does the list appear to be in any detectable sorting order (user ID,
user name, real name, nothing).

I tried using XDM, instead, but it doesn't start something that Gnome
needs to run.  I don't want *anything* to do with KDE on my system, so
KDM's not getting a look in.

Just a straight type in username and password box, as it used to be,
would suit me.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.19-78.2.30.fc9.i686