Church sound

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Mar 13 03:31:42 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-03-12 at 21:27 -0500, David Miller wrote:
> I see several packages that will record but I don't want to have a
> 700M file.  Is there a package that will break the recording into,
> lets say, 10min files and then be able to burn those to CD as audio
> tracks with zero time between tracks.

I've used software that can automatically break a large audio file up
into several smaller ones.  Though I suspect that's not going to work
well with speech, as it may think momentary pauses in speech are good
break points, whereas a human might break at more sensible moments
(change in topics, activities, etc.).

I've used Audacity for live recordings of sound, hitting stop and then
record between things.  That's one way of doing what you want.

But if you want to pay attention to what you're recording, and not get
distracted by recording it, then recording it as one slab then editing
afterwards is the better approach.  Again, Audacity is quite good for
that task.

> At some point later I would like to get a camera and start doing video
> recording of the service and place of DVD.

I'd suggest getting a HDD+DVD recorder, record to hard drive, break the
recording into chapters after filming, then burn off a DVD.  It's then
an easy job to replicate that DVD, either burning off another copy from
the hard drive on the same unit, or copying the DVD on computer.

I've got a Sony RDR-HXD590 HDD+DVD recorder which makes that sort of
thing relatively painless.  We've used it for recording concerts, and
chaptering the different acts.  And it seems to be one of the few that
creates fairly error-free discs.  I don't just mean discs that play
well, I mean ones that aren't full of masses DVD technical errors that
make duplication, or even playing, discs difficult on other decks.

I find stand-alone recording equipment to be generally a lot less
annoying that computerised video equipment.  Professional video
production is my career, and this is the easiest way to go, for low/no
budget productions, in my experience.  If you go the whole hog, you can
easily spend hours and hours in post production, for no tangible
improvement for the type of job you outline.

> In both cases the church is also talking about putting streaming audio
> or streaming video on their web site.

Might be worth looking at some of the youtube tutorials.  The same
things will apply for preparing video for your own website as theirs.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.19-78.2.30.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.