timeline for python 3?

Nifty Fedora Mitch niftyfedora at niftyegg.com
Fri Mar 13 20:12:28 UTC 2009

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 08:10:28AM -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>   perhaps admitting my ignorance of python upgrades and backward
> compatibility, but is there a timeline for the adoption of python 3
> into an official fedora release?  thanks.
>
>   see?  a whole post from me without mentioning jigdo once.  oh, wait.
> damn ...

A better goal is to ask to have python3 packages install in
a python3 directory so 'alternatives' can be used.

Python is such a foundation tool that the entire system health is at
risk if a new version was to be tossed in in a silly way.  However that
does not preclude an alternate install.  If done correctly it gets 'easy'
for all the users of python to clean up their tools.

Recall that yum, and goodness what else are python based.
	$ file `which yum`
	/usr/bin/yum: python script text executable

Such transitions are difficult and involve lots of people and lots
of moving parts..  Python3 does bring some serious new magic to
the python game but it does break compatibility.  Look for 'alternatives'
as an alternate way to get there from here.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	Found me a new hat, now what?