Keep 2 kernels using up2date on RHEL4

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Tue Mar 17 05:03:52 UTC 2009

Paul Ward wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Please can someone tell me where the config for how many kernels to keep is.
>
> I wish to use up2date on my rhel 4 server and ensure it keeps at least
> 2 copies of the kernel in grub.
> I can't find it in up2date --configure
>
> And I do not think it is in grub.conf

AFAIK, up2date doesn't have a concept of keeping a given number of
kernels.

During up2date the previous kernels are not removed and "install" is
done on kernel packages...not "update".
The up2date configuration is kept in /etc/sysconfig/rhn/up2date

removeSkipList=kernel*;

prevents removal of kernel packages.

So, you are faced with having more than 2 kernels installed unless you
manually remove them....  So, you are virtually assured of having more
than 2.  :-)

--
You could get a new lease on life -- if only you didn't need the first
and last month in advance. Mei-Mei.Greshko at greshko.com
http://tw.youtube.com/watch?v=cCSz_koUhSg