Suggestion - replace gdm with kdm as the default

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Tue Mar 17 17:16:36 UTC 2009

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-03-17 at 14:30 +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
>> Arthur Pemberton wrote:
>>> Please lookup PyGTK. It is a direct dependency on Gtk.
>> Well, technically it's indirect because system-config-* depends on PyGTK and
>> PyGTK depends on GTK+. ;-)
>
> I nearly said that but thought better of it :-)
>
>> But that doesn't change the fact that those tools are hardcoded to use GTK+
>> (through PyGTK).
>
> Which rather feeds into what my view that Fedora is a Gnome-based distro
> that also supports KDE, but we don't need to go into all that again.

It isn't just your view, it's a stated fact from Red Hat documentation.
Red Hat OSes (Fedora included) have Gnome as the preferred (and default)
desktops, which is why their config tools are written in Python and use
GTK although, I think they could've picked a better language. (I don't
care for a language that depends on indentation for control structures,
but that's just me).
-              Where there's a will, I want to be in it.             -