OT: Internet access for old RH machine

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Wed Mar 18 18:20:34 UTC 2009

Stewart Williams wrote:
> I know, I know, but ...
>
> I have an old laptop (PII-400MHz) that has RedHat 7.3 installed on it
> and it works like a dream and it's all setup how I want it.
>
> Currently I use it stand-alone and has no LAN or Internet access configured.
>
> However occasionally I would really like to access certain web sites on
> it - so I need to use a web browser, text or GUI.
>
> I know it's no longer updated, supported and probably full of security
> holes, however ...
>
> I was wondering if there was a way I could connect it to my router, but
> segregated some how, such as an encrypted VPN tunnel. So that if it was
> exploited it couldn't compromise the security of my main LAN.

The strict answer is NO. That said I have two other suggestions, install the
latest and most secure version of a browser (I use the Seamonket 2.0beta) which
you will have to install because there's no recent rpm in the usual places, or
far better just ssh to a machine which is on (assuming you have such) with the
-X option, and start the browser on a hardened machine.

Your firewall should protect you pretty well and block virtually everything in
any case.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>