fedora LTS , why not?

Gordon Messmer yinyang at eburg.com
Thu Mar 19 15:07:42 UTC 2009

Adel ESSAFI wrote:

> My idea is to build a distribution that is based on Fedora at 100% with
> 1. LTS
> 2. with a very reduce number of packages

I don't mean to rain on your parade, but I think you underestimate the
amount of effort involved in this.  Fedora is a community with many
members, and there still isn't enough manpower for an LTS release.  The
Fedora Legacy group already had a run at this, and eventually shut down
for exactly that reason.  People who are interested in something with a
long lifetime are already using something else.  If you're interested in
a GNU/Linux system with a long support lifetime and no charge, I'd
suggest using CentOS.  Join up.  Put your effort into supporting their
work, and when you see what's involved, you'll be glad you didn't try to
do it on your own.