fedora LTS , why not?

John Cornelius jc at hangarpilot.net
Thu Mar 19 16:16:54 UTC 2009

Adel ESSAFI wrote:
> Hi list
>

> I was using fedora and redhat since 2000. To day, I can see that our
> favorite distro is really very strong. However, I have done some
> experience (short) with Ubuntu and I have liked to LTS concept (Long
> Term support).
>
> My idea is to build a distribution that is based on Fedora at 100% with
> 1. LTS
> 2. with a very reduce number of packages
> 3. with proprietary codecs and essentiel software (mp3, flash )
> included in.
>
> I know that the variety of the open source projects are making it's
> power. However, I aim to build a distribution with only one software
> from each catégory. That is, I have to choose between:
> *  KDE and GNOME for the destop
> * rhythembox , kaffeine, ....... as media player
> * abiword or openoffice as office writer
>
> Technically, I will maintain a repository  with a reduced number of
> packages.
>

> If I get positive feed back from this list, I can start working on
> this project in july
>
> This distribution will be very useful for starter!!
>
> Best regards
> Adel
>

> --
> http://ilovefedora.blogspot.com/
>
> --
>
> PhD candidate in Computer Science
> Address
> BP 108, Bureau de poste Tunis republique
> 1001 Tunis
> Tunisia
> tel: +216 97 246 706
> fax: +216 71 391 166
Perhaps Fedora is not the correct choice for your environment or needs.
Fedora is bleeding edge and Fedora users love to bleed and be on the
edge. As a consequence Fedora support is limited especially with regard
to updates for any given version.

Centos may be a better choice for you if you want to stick with a
"version" and continue to receive security and performance updates.
While features found in Centos will almost certainly lag those found in
Fedora by about one release they are stable and completely ;=) debugged
by the time they hit the Centos repositories.

Centos is still free for the asking and it is still RedHat, in fact it
is RedHat Enterprise Linux but you cannot call for support, you have to
resort to forums just like you do with Fedora but the repositories are
updated frequently and security and performance upgrades go on for
several years.

I can't speak to codecs and mp3 capabilities but perhaps you should give
it a try and see if it is a fit for your needs.

--

John Cornelius
(760)560-3449 (Home)

"I may not be totally perfect, but parts of me are excellent."
Ashleigh Brilliant, 1979