Fedora 10 x64 doesn't detect all RAM

Tosh toshlinux at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 08:53:56 UTC 2009

spmirowski wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am running a Dell 370 with 4 GB of RAM. Vista 32 SP1 shows that 4 GB
> is installed in System Properties. The change
> from 3 GB to 4GB wasn't picked up in Fedora 10 x64. It's a Intel 925X
> chipset if that helps out. Does anyone know
> why it might not register 4 GB on a 64 bit OS?
>
> free mem
>
> total used free shared buffers cached
> Mem: 3092948 1524736 1568212 0 46608 701228
> -/+ buffers/cache: 776900 2316048
>
> Thanks,
>
> Stephen

bios limitation, nothing to do with linux
have had the same problems on many boards
try the following :
(1) update bios
(2) run live linux to check
(3) update grub (reinstall if necessary)
(4) upgrade to new kernel
if these steps do not work, well then it is a hardware issue, nothing to
do with the software

--
Toshaan <toshlinux at gmail.com> - http://www.toshaan.be