fedora LTS , why not?

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Sun Mar 22 17:07:56 UTC 2009

Adel ESSAFI wrote:
> Well,
> I think that I have chosen a bad subject for this discussion. I wanted
> to focus about the multimedia aspect and that there are a big variety
> software in Fedora. That may make the newbies a bit disturbed at the
> beginning.
> Any way, I will concentrate to contribute (me and some of my student) to
> contribute in fedora. What do you think about making media player detect
> the missing codecs and ask to download them automatically (install
> rpmfusion and download the needed packages). I have never contributed
> before. How long time do you think that such implemented function need
> to be implemented.

PackageKit already implements similar functionality. It detects and
automatically installs the right codecs if it is available in the
repository. The problem is not technical. It is a legal issue. We are
not allowed to pull in patent encumbered software from other repository.
That is the same as including it by default.

Rahul