F-9 rescue disk?

Frank Cox theatre at sasktel.net
Sun Mar 22 18:08:30 UTC 2009

On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 12:51:06 -0400
Bob Goodwin wrote:

> Ok, I can do that and fdisk sees the two drives, /dev/sda and sdb but
> not /dev/sdc which I believe is the CDROM drive?  And that's what's
> stopping the F-10 install from progressing, it can't fins /dev/sdc2?
> But if it is the cdrom it used it to get started!
>
> And I still can't ssh into box6 [the failed unit].  It just reports no
> route to host.

This leads me to suspect that you don't understand what rescue mode does.

You should boot the computer that failed from the rescue cd.  After it's
booted, you can use the keyboard that's attached to that computer to "do
things", be that copy data off of of the hard drive or run fsck or whatever you
need to do.

sshd is not started by default when booting in rescue mode, so you won't be
able to log into that machine remotely unless you take additional steps (that
also involve typing on the keyboard that's attached to the computer you just
booted in rescue mode) after booting it up.