Maple on Fedora

Dave Feustel dfeustel at mindspring.com
Sun Mar 22 20:49:55 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 09:37:04AM +1300, Clint Dilks wrote:
> Dave Feustel wrote:
>> Has anyone experience using Maple on Fedora?
>> Any comments?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

> It can be made to run but you have to do some minor hacking of the
> installer binaries.  I have only tried it for Fedora core 6.  So the new
> Fedora might be different.  From my notes
>

> This is the hack that is required to get the installer to work on Fedora
> Core 6 which means you have to copy the content of the cd to the Hard
> Drive then install from there.
I have experience cdrom install failures before, specifically with MKS
Toolkit and a couple of other cdroms. I got them to install by copying
the cdroms to hard disk and installing from the hard disk as you did.

I don't understand what the following lines are for.

> cat UnixInstaller.bin.bak | sed "s/export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL/#xport
> LD_ASSUME_KERNEL/" >  UnixInstaller.bin
>
> I hope this helps :)

Is the Maple installer OS-specific or is Maple in rpm format?

Thanks.