Problem with keyring not really acceptable?

Hugh Caley hughc at aldon.com
Mon Mar 23 19:49:56 UTC 2009

My Fedora 10 machine uses NIS for authentication.  I changed my NIS
password.  I was able to successfully log into my Fedora box, but my
first attempt to open an SSH session to another machine in
gnome-terminal is blocked by the keyring, which wants the old password.

Is this really acceptable?  I don't know why I would need to access my
local keyring in order to open a remote SSH terminal session anyway.
But the keyring never helped with anything; I would still have had to
enter a password for this connection, only with the keyring I have to
enter two.

I don't remember being invited to create the original keyring, nor was I
given an option to fix the problem when it occurred, nor does there seem
to be local documentation to explain what is going on (other than a
general description of what the keyring is supposed to do).  I had to
search the Internet to find a way out of this, and I suppose I'll have
the same problem if I change my password again.

Hugh

--
Hugh Caley, Linux Administrator
Aldon Computer Group