konsole trouble

Tom Diehl tdiehl at rogueind.com
Wed Mar 25 02:49:54 UTC 2009

On Tue, 24 Mar 2009, Gerhard Magnus wrote:

> On Tue, 2009-03-24 at 11:09 -0600, Robert Singleton wrote:
>> I'm running Fedora 10 under the Gnome desktop on a Toshiba laptop. Last
>> night I seem to have messed up the konsole application (not sure how,
>> but I think it turned dark, wouldn't respond, so I killed the app), and
>> now it will not launch (although Terminal will launch, but I don't
>> really like Terminal). The problem is also present with other user
>> accounts, so it doesn't seem like it's a local profile setting. The
>> Microsoft fix of rebooting does not solve the problem either. Any
>> suggestions? Thanks very much in advance if you can help me.
>>
>> Robert Singleton
>
> This also happened to me this morning -- konsole just won't launch for
> no apparent reason. I've switched to Terminal for the time being....

For me it crashes. I have tracked it down to a problem with the configuration
settings that I have used for the last 10+ years. It seems that they decided
to remove the vt420pc terminal type from the list of valid choices. So far I
cannot find any documentation that explains this change. I have found that
there is a file  /home/tdiehl/.kde/share/apps/konsole/Shell.profile that
contains a line KeyBindings=vt420pc. If I rm that line konsole will start.
If that line is there then konsole crashes.

So, does anyone know where I can find the documentation that explains this
change and how to get my keybindings to work properly again?

Oh by the way this is not only screwed up on my F10 system I have the same
problem on F9.

FWIW:

(tigger pts8) # rpm -q kdebase
kdebase-4.2.1-2.fc10.x86_64