Disabling mouse taps on Fedora 10 (solved)

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Wed Mar 25 13:09:18 UTC 2009

D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> | From: Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>
>
> | David wrote:
>
> | > from the CLI (since no X)
> | >
> | > X -configure
>
> Interesting that "X -help" doesn't say anything about this option.
>
> Interesting that there is no X(1) manpage.
> There is no x(1) manpage.
>
> There is an Xserver(1) manpage.  It calls itself XSERVER(1) but that
> isn't its name, nor is xserver(1).  Its synopsys says that it is
> invoked as "X" (with options).  But it does not say anything about
> -configure.
>
> There is an Xorg(1) manpage that is distinct from Xserver(1).  Its
> synopsis says that it is invoked as "Xorg".  It does document a
> -configure option.
>
> xorg.conf(5) does not mention that "Xorg -configure" might be
> interesting.
>
> It turns out that /usr/bin/X is a symlink to /usr/bin/Xorg.  There
> does not seem to be an executable file called Xserver
>
> Rather a mess.
>
> | The problem is that there are ten screens of command line options to be
> | understood,
>
> Yeah.  "Xorg -help" prints 115 lines to stderr.  If you want to see
> them, you need to use a pager.  And do redirection.  Like:
> 	Xorg 2>&1 | less
> Very friendly.  And it doesn't list -configure
>
> | and it gets some of its information by probing, rather than user
> | input. Much of the information, such as that needed to use --layout, is in the
> | xorg.conf man page, which makes for a painful process figuring out what
> | options are needed just to generate xorg.conf with the right stanzas to edit.
>
> How do you figure them out?

Well I use a three part approach:
- trial and error, killing the server via ssh from another system
- swearing and screaming "I hate computers"
- use of mind-altering substances such as India Pale Ale

There is no good way, and AFAIK there is no way to get all the legal stanzas
generated, so you can edit them. They require command line --options to get a
starting point. The main problem I have is getting a touchpad stanza so I can
disable pad taps while typing. That's the only thing I have to edit on almost
every laptop, since the TP is right next to the space bar and gets hit regularly
if you use your thumb for spaces.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>