Disk quotas on INBOXes

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Wed Mar 25 13:40:11 UTC 2009

Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:

>    Our user e-mail INBOXes are sitting in /var/mail/[user].  Does anyone
> know of a way for me to institute per-user quota on their INBOXes?  See
> our problem is that while I can apply user-quotas on /home/[user], that
> doesn't take into account what's on /var/mail/[user] ... and some users
> are leaving their e-mail sitting in their INBOX because they don't want
> to eat up their user quota.  So, I want to limit the size of their INBOX
> file as well, through quotas.
>
>    Possible?

You have had a number of good suggestions, but I hope you have management
support before limiting mail. You should be able to set a mbox size limit on
incoming mail, that's why you get "mailbox full" messages. That's probably the
best way to handle it.

I wrote a small tool which will remove some oldest messages from a mbox format
file, based on either the size of the file or the number of messages. I use it
to clean out my folders rather than on the mbox itself, but it will work on a
mbox, it has the locking to to do so, since I wrote it for that reason years
ago. I would add logging so it's clear that you didn't lose the mail, it was
deleted because of user inattention.

Of course with the price of disk these days, I have to wonder why space is so
tight. If this is non-business mail, tell the users to get a gmail account. ;-)

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>