update broke NetworkManager

Christopher A. Williams chriswfedora at cawllc.com
Thu Mar 26 03:51:48 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-03-25 at 23:47 -0400, Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
> Christopher A. Williams wrote:

> >> nm_applet runs in the Notification Area.  Did you lose your Notification
> >> Area?
> >>
> >> I have 5 different applets running in mine, including Bluetooth Manager,
> >> Power Manager, NetworkManager Applet, Weather Report, and Volumne
> >> Applet.  I'd notice if all 5 disappeared from my panel....
> >
> > I have a friend who is now offline because of this update. I'm trying to
> > help him roll back the change. No rsync backup in this case...
> >
> > Ideas?
>
> If his Notification Area has disappeared from his panel, add it back in.
>   Then NetworkManager Applet will have someplace to run.  If the problem
> is something else, then, I'm sorry, I can't help.

It' something else for sure. The notification panel is intact.
NetworkManager is refusing to start and the entries for the ethernet
connection are also gone.

Re-creating them manually so of is not working either. I'm having him
switch it from NetworkManager to the old-style Network service. So far,
no dice...

Cheers,

Chris

--