Anyone unable to run specifc applications after recent selinux-policy?

Steven F. LeBrun steven at lebruns.com
Thu Mar 26 20:23:45 UTC 2009

Steven F. LeBrun wrote:
> Mike Cloaked wrote:
>> Dave Roberts-12 wrote:
>>
>>> Hmm... I don't think it's just your problem. I'm having similar issues.
>>> After the latest update, Emacs refuses to run in X (runs okay in a term
>>> window with "emacs -nw") and Firefox keeps hanging randomly. There
>>> doesn't appear to be any error message at all. If I start Emacs from a
>>> menu pick or a panel button, it displays the "Starting Emacs Text
>>> Editor" application button in the lower panel, but that eventually goes
>>> away and no window appears. If I try to start Emacs from a term window
>>> ("emacs"), it just hangs forever. Firefox keeps hanging randomly, too.

>> I am now wondering if this is due to the broken libX11 package
>> libX11-1.1.5-1.fc10.i386 - a number of issues have followed that - and a new
>> version (-2) is pushed to testing a few hours back....maybe that will fix
>> things?
>>
> It does look like version 1.1.5-1 of libX11 is the problem with Emacs
> and other X window programs hanging when they startup.  Downgrading to
> version 1.1.4-5 fixed the problem.  I would have used the previous
> version 1.1.4-6 but found the rpm's for version 1.1.4-5 of libX11 and
> libX11-devel first.
>
> One problem occurred during the downgrade, my laptop would no longer
> boot up.  It would display "GRUB" and hang.  It appears that the MBR
> became corrupted.  This was fixed by reinstalling the Grub stage1
> binary from my existing /boot/grub partition/directory.
>
> Directions for reinstalling the Grub stage1 binary to the MBR can be
> found in the Booting from Second Disk
> <http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showpost.php?p=431055> thread in the
> Fedora Forums.  In order for follow the directions for reinstalling
> the stage1 binary to the MBR, I booted my system using a Fedora 10
> Live CD and mounted my /boot partition before running grub manually to
> perform the reinstall.  In my case, "mount /dev/sda3 /mnt/sda3" made
> my /boot partition and /boot/grub/stage1 file available.
>
> --
>   Steven F. LeBrun
>
> Quote: /"The objection to fairy stories is that they tell children
> there are dragons. But children have always known there are dragons.
> Fairy stories tell children that dragons can be killed."/
>      -- G.K. Chesterton

The corruption of my MBR which caused me to have to reinstall the
grub/stage1 binary was probably not a direct result of my downgrading
the libX11 package.   I suspect that I shot myself in the foot when I
tried to downgrade just the libX11 and forgot to downgrade libX11-devel
at the same time resulting in conflicts.  My system hung during "rpm -U"
command and I Control-C'ed out of this initial attempt to downgrade.  I
suspect this is when my MBR became unstable.

--
    Steven F. LeBrun

Quote: /"One day a peacock. The next day a feather duster."/
    ---  Democrat Patrick Quinn, Illinois lieutenant governor