FGLRX problems

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sun Mar 29 03:51:06 UTC 2009

Jim wrote:
> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon RV250
> [Mobility FireGL 9000] (rev 01) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

That device is no longer supported by fglrx. The good news is that it is
perfectly supported by the builtin Radeon driver, including 3D
acceleration, so I don't see why you would want to install fglrx in the
first place.

You complained in a previous mail about desktop effects being slow, well
that's kinda to be expected, your card is not quite the newest
generation. :-) I don't think the driver is at fault there. You can try
enabling desktop effects, but disabling most effects, especially the
GPU-intensive ones (hint: the more an effect moves things around, the more
likely it is to eat GPU power - keep away from stuff like "wobbly
windows").

        Kevin Kofler