bash null conditional

Agile Aspect agile.aspect at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 18:33:28 UTC 2009

Craig White wrote:
> I'm in my bash book and looking on web but can't seem to resolve this
> simple problem.
>
> $ if [ -n "grep A121 myfile.csv" ]; then echo "null"; fi
> null
>
> $ if [ -n "grep A125 myfile.csv" ]; then echo "null"; fi
> null
>
> A125 definitely is null when I just run the grep command in the quotes
> but A121 definitely is not null.
>
> What am I missing on the if/null operator here?
>
> Craig

I believe it's

    if [ -z "grep A121 myfile.csv" ]; then echo "null"; fi

--
Article. VI. Clause 3 of the constitution of the United States states:

"The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the Members of
the several State Legislatures, and all executive and judicial Officers,
both of the United States and of the several States, shall be bound by
Oath or Affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious Test
shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust
under the United States."