Virtual Box

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Mon Mar 30 20:14:57 UTC 2009

Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Bill Davidsen wrote:
>> Slower, but it does work. I installed the 64bit FC10 in a virtual machine
>> on a 32 bit system
>
> That's actually pure software emulation, not kqemu. You can't accelerate a
> 64-bit VM on a 32-bit host at all, not with kqemu nor with anything else.
> And pure software emulation is extremely slow (about 50 times slower than
> native when building packages, from my experience).

As I said, slower. ;-)

However, once the install is done, it isn't all that bad to use for simple
stuff, and even 50x slower is fast enough to see if things work. It was a proof
of concept, a friend did a Yellow Dog Linux install on the power emulation. It's
fast enough to compile a program 64 bit if needed, that was the goal.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>