burn dot-files??

Beartooth Beartooth at comcast.net
Tue Mar 31 15:29:42 UTC 2009

On Mon, 30 Mar 2009 16:59:36 +1030, Tim wrote:
	[....]
> Considering how copying Linux file to essentially a DOS file system on a
> CD-ROM, then back to a Linux file system, messes up file permissions, it
> might be better to archive up the files you want to copy, and burn the
> archive.
>
> I find it really annoying how the default mounting options for CDs,
> flash drives, and the like, causes me to end up with executable
> permissions on inappropriate files (JPEGs, etc.).

	Been there, suffered that, big time. It seems there is an extra,
special switch for tar; but I can never remember what it is. That's why,
since these are smallish files, I was planning just to move them intact
via sneaker mail, check the permissions of each after copying from the
medium, and if need be alter them or chown the whole shebang.