OT: Network setup - NAT

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Tue Mar 31 16:23:07 UTC 2009

Tim wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-03-30 at 13:31 -0400, Mike Burger wrote:
>> Not wanting to sound too picky, but setting a default gateway is, in
>> effect, setting a (default) route.
>
> Fair enough, but reading the post, I was thinking of users "adding
> routes," which is a different (and potentially more complex) action.  Of
> course, for some situations, you want that complexity.  But it's not
> needed for what most people do with internet connection sharing.
>
> man route

I was thinking more of setting up the networks using ifconfig and
route for testing. I am not sure how you would go about assigning an
IP address of 192.168.2.0 on a network defined as 192.156.2.0/24
using an ifcfg-eth? file or the configuration GUIs. (That is how the
OP said he configured things.) But I could be wrong - they may not
do any error checking...

Mikkel