Fresh install Fedora 10 X86_64 problems

Jim mickeyboa at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 31 20:39:11 UTC 2009

Jeff Voskamp wrote:
> Jim wrote:
>> m wrote:

>>> Root does not live in /home or did you keep root's home also? I
>>> wouldn't have thought something like you are describing would work
>>> considering that many small things and probably large things too
>>> have probably changed from f8 to f10. Then there is the other major
>>> thing to consider: that KDE4 is still a work in progress as far as I
>>> know. Maybe removing the desktop settings files from the users home
>>> directories will do the trick. Just remember to keep good backups.
>>>
>> The 'root' is in /root not /home.
>> How do you change owners:groups,  For instance, bob:bob  to
>> george:george , in the whole user directory.
>>
>> Is the command  chown *.* bob:bob  george:george  ??
>>
> cd /home
> for x in *; do
> chown -R $x:$x $x
> done

That doesn't seem to work for what I'm doing.

What I'm trying to do is change all directories/files in a   /home/user,
from one owner/group to another owner/group.

When I installed FC10, fresh install and format the /  partition and
left the /home partition from the old fedora 8 install
in place.
FC10 for some reason change all the directories/files to another user on
box into a  /home/user.
I know this sounds confusing but the point,  /home/molly has the wrong
owner/group on her files.  I have got to get them back to molly:molly in
/home/molly.

Thanks again

Thanks for your help