"Blinking lights of death" ? Netgear Switch GS108

Veli-Pekka Kestilä fedora at guagua.fi
Mon May 4 22:07:33 UTC 2009

Aldo Foot wrote:
> On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 1:19 PM, David Liguori <liguorid at albany.edu> wrote:
>
>> .....  You say the room is well-ventilated but
>> that doesn't rule out too high an ambient temperature in a room full of
>> equipment, especially if it was sitting on top of or in a rack full of other
>> equipment.  .....
>>

> Alright... where did you put that webcam. :-)
> You're correct. The ambient temp may be an issue, but only if I keep the
> door wide open. The switch was placed on top of the server, but the
> server has plenty of ventilation. I'll take a closer look at this though.
>

>> If you're pretty sure the capacitor is what's ailing it and it's
>> through-hole rather than surface mounted, I would consider it well worth
>> fixing, or even trying if there's greater than a 10% success probability.
>>  Many 8-port switches aren't worth fixing below that.
>>

> Yeah. It was the cap. It was blown from the top. The rest appeared to
> be alright... and for that reason I'm reluctant to just toss it out.
>
> ~af

It seems to be common problem with those netgear 8-port switches. I had
one 8-port netgear wall mounted and it broke. When I opened it it was
clean and fine except one of the capacitors was bulging littlebit. It's
still under garantee, but haven't had time to take it in there. What I
read from net it's type problem. Saw quite many stories of people fixing
it by changing that cap. Too bad. I really liked the steel box and all.

-VPK