Adding Partitions

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Fri May 8 02:17:49 UTC 2009

On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 7:59 PM, Paul Stewart <paul at paulstewart.org> wrote:

>  Hi there…
>

> I’ve been reading through various docs but getting a bit lost – figure this
> must be fairly easy to explain ;)
>

> On my machine (Dell R710 Poweredge) I have 6 SAS drives running RAID5 via
> Perc 6/I controller.  To get Fedora 10 to install, I had to shrink the
> initial partition down so I thought I’d install with just this:
>

> Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
>
> /dev/sda2             10079084   1354216   8212868  15% /
>
> /dev/sda1               198337     19162    168935  11% /boot
>
> tmpfs                  4149532         0   4149532   0% /dev/shm
>

> Then I’ll take the remaining 4.8TB or so and mount them after installing.
> The install went fine now with the smaller partition to boot with….
>

> So, having not run Fedora for a bit, I thought I’d fire up FDISK but it
> tells me:
>

> WARNING: GPT (GUID Partition Table) detected on '/dev/sda'! The util fdisk
> doesn't support GPT. Use GNU Parted.
>

> So I fire up parted and create a partition (weird that it only supports
> ext2 vs ext3).  That part seems to go fine and now I need to add that
> partition to /etc/fstab but now I get confused:

I thought that was a little weird so I looked it up, and you're correct,
parted does not support ext3 directly, however, the easiest thing to do is
create the partition in parted but format it from a regular shell i.e. "mkfs
-t ext3 /dev/sdX".

> UUID=8e37b3d8-a52f-4620-ad58-1ae79abd8b50 /                       ext3
> defaults        1 1
>
> UUID=74dfbed0-e91c-4d95-b09c-0b8eb9d96543 /boot                   ext3
> defaults        1 2
>
> tmpfs                   /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
>
> devpts                  /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
>
> sysfs                   /sys                    sysfs   defaults        0 0
>
> proc                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
>
> UUID=905ac254-05fb-4ca2-856d-01e05ee4a7d2 swap                    swap
> defaults        0 0
>

> I’ve never seen this UUID stuff before – how do I add my new partition to
> fstab?  I’ve been reading that UUID is related to the GPT but is there a way
> for me to add this partition?

UUID is a way to uniquly identify a disk, partition, lvm, etc. It is never
supposed to change where your /dev entry might if you were to add disks,
rearrange, etc, and is now the standard way to reference storage media on
several linux distributions.

I know how to do if for a real disk or even LVM but not sure about a raid
array but the following link might work:
http://blog.mypapit.net/2008/04/linux-how-to-get-harddisk-uuid-number.html

> Also, what is the maximum partition size under Core 10?

Can't help you there.