Why does my window fractionate?

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Sat May 9 12:58:27 UTC 2009

dexter wrote:

>> I wish someone would convey to Fedora developers in general,
>> and KDE developers in particular, the merits of simplicity.
>> Every option added to an application reduces its usability.
>
> Every option added increases functionality you should look to gnome if
> having a choice makes you think to hard.

That is an interesting philosophical question.

In my view, adding an option that will only be used by 0.001% of users
means that 99.99% of users have to read something that is of no use to them.

There are many applications - I would take sendmail as a good example -
which in fact are only used in 3 or 4 different ways by 99.9% of users.
Having to scan through a billion options has made configuring sendmail
so difficult that one has to use a special program
to configure the configure file.

Window is, unfortunately, far better than Fedora, or Linux generally,
in simplifying configuration by hiding rarely used options
under an "Advanced" tab.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net